Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

It is far better to give than to receive!!!

I sent out a note on Monday letting parents know that instead of the normal $5 boy buys boy gift and girl buys girl gift, their child was to bring in 23 little items.

I knew my reasoning behind it.
Today I had to express why...  I guess I should have all along.

I had a parent write a note back telling me, "Thanks a LOT for the heads up on this!! Guess you thought I was made of money."


Ouch.
I mean, buying 23 little items... like pencils, or erasers, or candy... I had explained all that in my note... things that would equal less than $5 for the whole class.

I thought I was doing a good thing here... all the kids would get the same thing. Caring and sharing.

So I called the mom.
I learned of a lost job and a soon-to-be foreclosed home.
I heard a stressed out momma.

I told her that I didn't want to add any more to her plate... that I would make sure her daughter has something to pass out... for her not to worry about it.

"Okay???" I asked.
There was silence on the other end... and then sobbing.
I continued talking, reassuring while she regained herself.
"I don't want my daughter to feel less than the others because she doesn't bring something."


And here is where I shared what I have been teaching my students, but I forgot to share the concept with their parents...

We have been writing 'The Gift of Kind Words'...where every student writes something kind to every classmate.  I have been teaching the kids that things don't need to be expensive to be meaningful.  That is why they were to bring little items... just to share in the joy of giving, not to impress with big expensive items.

After I explained all of that, I told the mom, "So, please. Let me get your daughter's gift for you.  Let me keep from adding another burden to your load. Consider this my gift to you."


She never told me yes...
but she never told me no either.
Intentional Happiness
Intentional Happiness
Bad Mommy Moments !!!
Momalom !!!

2 comments:

  1. You are a phenomenal teacher. And I can say this with great certainty. I have to share this: My kids go to a school in a somewhat upper class neighbourhood. We are not upperclass, just live near the school. At the beginning of the school year, the teacher told the parents that each child was to bring 22 apples to one child during said child's birthday. Her rationale: apples are healthier than cupcakes. Here's the thing: I'm not that cupcake mom. I don't make cupackes for my kids to bring to their classroom when it's their birthday. But now I was obligated to send 22 apples. $12 later (yes, that's how much it cost for those apples) apparently the kids were complaining that the apples were bruised. Not sure how that happened, but nonetheless, I feel like I wasted money I didn't have doing something a teacher who has given no thought to what all the parents in the classroom want to do AND can afford. I applaud you (if you read this long winded comment, I thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,

    Every time I read one of your posts - particularly about your job and your caring nature - I am blown away.

    You really inspire me to be a better person.

    Hope you have a great weekend.

    x

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!