Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

And through trials and tribulations, comes strength.

I have spent the last two days volunteering in Joplin, MO.
I wish I was there again today....
I know that I will go back and help again.

Words, nor pictures, do justice to the overwhelming devastation there.  The people there have lot everything! Their house, their car, their job... some even the life of a loved one.




I spent my time at a makeshift distribution center.  We took donations, sorted them, boxed them, and put them on semis to go 10 blocks over to where the tornado hit. The amount of donations were overwhelming and amazing! There was overturn every couple of hours.



We also had food set out so any victims could come along and collect anything they needed.



On Sunday, the president came to Joplin.
I didn't hear his speech.
I didn't see him in person.
I did step outside while he drove through town, passing by the area I was volunteering.
National Guard 

Presidential Motorcade

President's car
But I didn't need to hear what he was saying because I have already experienced it firsthand; the devastation, the comradery, the outpouring of love.

As I drove home Sunday night, these are the images that will forever be etched in my brain.
Friends consoling each other through the rubble.

Faith still intact
A house already rebuilt after ONLY one week.

1 comment:

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!