Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

30 Days of Truth: Day Eighteen: Gay Marriage

Day 18 → Your views on gay marriage.

My thoughts on gay marriage lie close to home. My older brother is gay. I think I always knew it. When we were in HS, he "dated" a girl. I found it strange. When we were in college and he "revealed" it to me, I wasn't surprised. I was worried, but I wasn't surprised.

I was worried because even though I knew my brother was a strong willed person, I was concerned for the ridicule he might endure. I'm sure he has endured a lot, but I don't know about it first-hand. We don't have that type of relationship. He doesn't share that with me. I don't know if he thinks he is protecting me or what, but he doesn't share it.

People (normally before they know about my brother) have made statements to me like, "Don't they (gays) know they are sinning against God?" Who am I to judge who is right or wrong??They are happy... which makes me happy. It makes me sad, however, that my brother doesn't come to visit me because I live in a more conservative part of the country. He knows what it's like here... we grew up here... which is why he moved right after college.

He has been in a relationship with his boyfriend for over 10 years. I wish for him that he could marry the man he loves. They share their lives and a home... but not a certificate of marriage. ...and despite my conservative upbringing, that saddens me.


Day 19 → What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!