Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mug Shots

It's funny the things that bring back such vivid memories...how inanimate things can send you back to the past.

The other day I was making my boys hot chocolate and I pulled some mugs out of my cupboard...

The three that I pulled down ALL had significant meaning to me.

The first one was my grandma's mug.

My brothers and I got it for her when we were young. We moved in with my grandma when I was 7, so my mom could help take care of her. We called her "GramCracker" and she let us... because it made us laugh. She would sit and sip hot tea out of this mug all the time. When my mom passed away, I claimed the mug as mine.


The second one I got when I went out on my first blind date in college.


It's a Batman mug from McDonald's.We were poor college students and he tried to impress me... by paying money for that mug.

Did I mention it was from McDonald's?

Yeah... McDonald's and then the batting cages. It wasn't the best date I have ever been on...but did get this cool mug! lol.


The third one I received my first year of teaching.

It was from a little autistic boy I had in my class. He was a wonderful artist! His dad had designed the label on the mug. The little boy was SO proud of his dad's work! ...and I was proud to be the recipient of it!


Who knew drinking hot chocolate would bring up so many memories??


Do you have anything that sparks memories like this for you??

7 comments:

  1. I've got some 3D glasses that conjur up some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding memories like that when I'm not looking. I collect mugs/old glasses too (not enough to make me a hoarder or anything) so this post made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love memories!
    and on another note my kids are hot chocolate addicts!

    Stopping by from SITS and now following nd stealing ur button

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny what items conjure memories!
    Stopping by from SITS to say Hi!
    I am adding you so I can come back & read more!
    Please stop by!
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great. The Batman one kinda makes me laugh!
    Dropped by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing at "GramCracker" but laughing even MORE about your date. Who purchases a McD's mug to impress? Ha!

    Thanks for visiting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, that is sweet! Except for the batman mug. I mean, if a dude was going to try and impress me with something from McDonalds, thanks, but I'll just take some chocolate chip cookies. I'm a pig.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!