Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

With the Gift of Giving Comes A Reality Check

Last night at church, it was revealed to me that there was a family that was struggling to give their kids a Christmas.

Even though I knew I couldn't do a lot, I knew I could help.

I agree to take one little boy's name and get him some clothes while my friend agree to get him toys.

As we left church, I informed my boys what we were doing.

Colby looked at me and asked, "Mom, doesn't he believe in Santa?... because if so, Santa can bring him everything his parents can't."
----
My heart broke.
The harsh reality that I am happy my children don't know.
The harsh reality my mom never let my brothers and I know about, even though we were so poor.


So I replied with, "Wouldn't it make you sad if I could give you anything for Christmas? Wouldn't it make me sad? I don't want him or his parents to be sad."

Santa is a great fantasy when you know you can provide... but he is a slap in the face when you know you can't.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is great that you can help out.
    Both my kids put together boxes and adopt a kid. they also worked at the shelter serving food.

    I am better with donating money. :(

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!