Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

In my corner

I was SO thankful to have someone in my corner this evening.

I have surrogate parents. They adopted me (unofficially) into their family back when I was in high school. Their daughter(EE) and I were inseparable back then. I spent a good portion of my waking hours at their house (when I wasn't required to be at school.) I'm surprise that they didn't ever kick me out...I mean, I was seriously there way too late some nights ...and then way too early other mornings.

Through the years, EE and I aren't always at each other's door step, but we are always there if the other one needs anything. Friends like that are good to have. We don't question when we haven't heard from one another in months...but we are always happy to see each other when we do. And as an added bonus, on top of having such a wonderful friend, I also got her parents.

Like I said... her parents adopted me.
They are wonderful grandparents to my boys!
...And they are wonderful parents to me.

Tonight they came to watch the boys play flag football.
Without knowing any of the nonsense that happened yesterday, they were there... in my corner.
As my ex's whole family cheered on my boys, I didn't feel displaced and unbalanced... because I was represented too. I had family there cheering right along with me.

It was also nice to know that they understood things that I didn't have to express... like when my ex announced to everyone that they were headed to Wendy's to eat... that I didn't want to go.

"We are all longing to go home to some place we have never been - a place half-remembered and half-envisioned we can only catch glimpses of from time to time. Community. Somewhere, there are people to whom we can speak with passion without having the words catch in our throats. Somewhere a circle of hands will open to receive us, eyes will light up as we enter, voices will celebrate with us whenever we come into our own power. Community means strength that joins our strength to do the work that needs to be done. Arms to hold us when we falter. A circle of healing. A circle of friends. Someplace where we can be free." ~Starhawk

Thank you both for being there for me!

1 comment:

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!