Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Not your typical Thanksgiving?

Growing up Thanksgiving meant a FULL house of family ...and friends ...and anyone who wouldn't have a Thanksgiving if they didn't come to our house.
My mom had an uncanny way of finding the one family that had no place to go and making sure they were at our house.

After I got married, I was excited that we hosted Thanksgiving.
It allowed me to have the type of Thanksgiving I had always had.
For most people, Christmas or Halloween are their favorite holiday.
Not me.
Nope...mine was Thanksgiving.

Last year I broke that tradition.
I left my boys with their dad and I went and spent it with Spencer and his family.
I remember feeling sad.
Sad for not being with all my family and friends.
Don't get me wrong, I was appreciative to Spencer's family, but it wasn't the same.

This year, I knew once again I wasn't hosting Thanksgiving, but I decided I wasn't going to allow it to take away from what I had always known and loved about this holiday.
The love and companionship of my family and friends.

So, the boys and I headed to my brother, Nick's house on Wednesday.
We had "Thanksgiving" that night.
Fix of family and loving on the babies - Check!

Then today we headed to my bestie, Laura's house.
Her family decided not to travel this holiday season.
They would have just had Thanksgiving the three of them.
So, the boys and I joined them.
We went and saw Tangled.
We shared in the dinner and the company.
Fix of friends - Check!

Then my cousin's wife had their baby, so we headed to the hospital.
Charlie is a beautiful baby boy with an awesome set of lungs.
Bringing Thanksgiving to someone who wouldn't have had it otherwise- Check!

After our weekend, I felt whole.
My house had not been filled with the love of my family and friends...
but my heart had.
PRICELESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!