Pages

Friday, December 25, 2009

it did not go as planned

Christmas was kind of a letdown for me today.

You know when you have a preconceived idea of how something should go...and then it doesn't happen like that, but the imagined was just SO much better... it is hard to get past that.

That was today for me.

I stayed up till 2 am last night assembling new beds for my boys.
(Actually, I should clarify...
it took me 4 hours to:
assemble their new beds,
take apart their old beds,
and rearrange everything in their rooms so that everything looked like it fit.

My only downfall was that I didn't start until 9:45pm. I was told it would take 2 hours to assemble them...I guess I should have accounted for the other things, but I did not.)

So, in my head, my boys would be bouncing up and down excited about their new beds this morning. (They have been asking for them for a while because they both were sleeping in toddler beds.)
Instead, they were like, "cool. ... MOM! It snowed last night!!!!!"
Yeah...trumped by snow.
I should have known I would have to compete with the snow.

Secondly, Spencer and his kids were supposed to come spend Christmas with us.
This didn't happen either.
Again, the day that played out in my head was so much better than us wishing each other "Merry Christmas" over the phone.

Thirdly, my boys spent from noon until 6 with their dad. I understand about him wanting some Christmas time with them as well, but he originally said he just wanted them a couple of hours. There is a big difference between 2 and 6 hours.

My only saving grace for today is that my brother, Tim, and his girlfriend, Xuan, showed up right when my boys were leaving. I didn't know they were coming today...I thought they were coming tomorrow. So, instead of me sitting in the house depressed and alone on Christmas, I was taken out to lunch and learned all about this wonderful girl my brother has found.

I guess you can't plan things like that, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dawn. I am visiting from SITS tonight. I am SO glad your brother came over unexpectedly! What a blessing. I also think you are a super star to put together those beds! Way to go. Things like that totally stress me out!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!