Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

another year older

So... I'm turning 35 today.
Birthdays have always been like water rolling off a duck's back to me.
No big thing... turning another year older.
(In fact, most years I celebrated the passing of the previous year.)

30? Ha! I laughed in 30's face! Who cared that the first number was a 3 instead of a 2?
(I had had my 2 babies before I was 30 just like I had wanted. )

Each year since, I have found a reason why this year's age was better than the last...I say I didn't come into my own until I was in my 30's.

But here I am at 35... I have never not wanted to turn an age as much as I don't want to turn 35.

I know it is just a frame of mind, but this 35 year old doesn't have anyone (a significant other) to spend her birthday with... and I guess I always thought that it was okay that I was left by my husband at 32 because by the time I hit that dreaded 35, I would be with someone new and we would live happily ever after.

Okay... I'm not sure about the happily ever after part... but I thought for sure I would be with someone.

Not that I need someone to make me happy... but on that one day out of the whole year that is yours...I just wish I had someone to spoil me...



Thankfully, I have aunts who must have known that I would be taking myself out for dinner this year...


(yes, I still love getting cards and "presents" for my birthday! :)

So here I am... Rolling over the crest of that 30 hill and trying with all my might to take on this philosophy:“The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune.”

2 comments:

  1. Yes, 35 is hard. Cause you are that much closer to 40. but let me just tell you when you hit 39, it is horrible!!!!!
    that was the worst year for me. I dreaded turning 40. Cause somehow that ment I was really freakin OLD.
    at 41 I am much better, but 42 is just around the corner.

    I guess what I am trying to say is, live in the moment. Dont think about the #. Your only as old as you feel.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    May all your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    I had a huge problem with 30. More with my personal situation at the time than with the actual number. 35 was a breeze. 40 was awesome, so was 45. Next month I'll be 46 and the first time that I've spent a birthday alone in more than 20 years. Ugh. I'm going to make the most of it though. Thank God for friends and family!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!