Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The List

Our counselor slowly slips into my room. Without a word, a piece of paper is handed my direction. I give a quick nod and a half smile. I try to read her expression. She gives me nothing.
She leaves my room as quietly as she came.

I glance down at the paper she has handed me.
I want to give it due justice, but it will have to wait. Students are vying for my attention.

As soon as I am by myself, I unfold the paper again.
I scour over the names to see if any are recognizable.
Known names are known for a reason.

Three-fourths down the page and nothing... No names that I know. No names that I have to prepare myself for. Strangely, I am slightly disappointed. I eventually connect with those "tough" kids even though they start out thinking I'm their worst nightmare.

As I finish reading through the last of my list, a name slaps me back to reality. THE name! The one name that ALL teachers in my building know. It precedes him.

I hear other teachers talking in the hallway. I walk out to join them.
They are talking about HIM. How HIS name did not make their list.
Some are even cheering.
Then the questions start. Who has HIM?
I slowly raise me hand. The apologies begin.

I nod and give into my condolences.
Secretly, though, I'm excited.
Those "tough cookies' keep me on my toes and help me to show all my students that it is always okay to strive to be better... even when your name precedes you.

6 comments:

  1. I, also, usually get "the name." But you know what? At this point, I realize it's an honor.

    And I always rise to the challenge.

    And from what I've read- so do YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! Better you than me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happened to me last year. I got the name and wasn't allowed to tell anyone til this year started. But in the end my year with "him" has only made me stronger and ready to keep fighting the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from SITS- and good for you EVERYONE needs someone to push them to be better than they thought they could be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have an amazing job, but a tough one.

    PS I have an award for you over at SoccerMom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for seeing those tough cookies for who they can be.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!