Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Is he really MY child?

Laughing and shaking my head, I write this post. You, see, my youngest son Sam sometimes does things that make me wonder, "Who has raised this child???"

Let me give you a synopsis of the past few days...
Sunday, in church, at probably the quietest moment (right after the sermon was done), Sam lets out this belch - a belch that you look around for because you KNOW it couldn't have come from someone little - but it did! It came from MY 3 year old! And did he stop there...Oh no! As loud as the belch was, his apology was equally as loud. "EXCUUUUUUUSE ME!" He shouts. Only for my face to turn an even deeper shade of red than it had from the belch.

Later that day, Robbie had taken the boys to the park. He had noticed that there was a baby shower going on in the pavilion, so he had directed the boys to the other end of the playground. At one point and time Robbie sees Sam running over towards the pavilion. Before he could say anything, Sam yanks down his pants and starts peeing on the grass. Now mind you, he's not modestly peeing on the grass...Oh no, not my son...He is seeing how far he can spray and swirling it back and forth. Robbie decides this is a good time to pretend he does NOT know who this child could possibly belong to - only for Sam to yell, "Dad! Dad! I'm over here! Come pull up my pants!"

So, here we are today. (This one I just have to shake my head and be amazed - I think so I don't drive myself to the local loony bin.) Sam falls asleep on the way home. Once we're home I decide I need to get him up so he will go to bed tonight. I take him out of the car and talk to him as I carry him into the living room. I ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom (since he had been asleep for about a half hour and we're potty training). He tells me, "No." "Are you sure?" He's sure! So I go back out to the garage to grab my bag, only for Colby to come yelling at me, "MOM!!! Sam's peeing! ... IN THE LIVING ROOM!!!" I came flying back inside. It was like a part in a movie where everything goes to slow motion. I looked at Sam - "NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!! What... are... you... doing???" I yanked him up (still peeing, mind you) and raced to the bathroom. "Pee here!" I say, as I place him in front of the toilet. About this time, I see life come to his eyes... he knows by what I just said he has done something wrong, but he doesn't know what. He starts crying, " I don't have to pee!" (I now know he was literally "half asleep" when he chose to pee on my carpet.) So... I just laugh saying to him, "Of course you don't need to pee."

Trust me ... when you see a child acting absolutely AWFUL. Sometimes it is because the parents have not done their job...but other times... it's just that we aren't claiming they are ours today! :)

3 comments:

  1. Yep, sounds exactly like my boys:)

    Thanks for sharing your stories--it is always nice to hear of the trials of fellow moms struggling with similar issues; makes you feel like you are not alone in these crazy parenting "trenches"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I just busted a gut laughing!! I had a similar experience with my son, he dropped his drawers and peed all over the only entrance way to the the grocery store on a busy Saturday once! I could have DIED! Great Story!

    ~Kelli @ Smidgens

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been there with the public peeing = we were walking through a really large festival and I notice that 2 of my 3 boys aren't beside me...I panic a little - looking around frantically to find them both peeing on the same tree...I calmly turned around and walked away - they caught up pretty quickly. SO embarrassing! Really enjoyed your sits day!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear what your thoughts are on my thoughts...so leave me a comment. Tell me what's on your mind!